Monforte d'Alba
History
Monforte owes its name to the castle that was built in the Middle Ages on the hilltop and in 1028 was stormed by soldiers sent by the Archbishop of Milan to suppress the Cathar heresy spread on site. The inhabitants of Mons Fortis, taken prisoner, were taken to Milan and forced to choose between recanting and the burning; most, in line with its principles, rushed into the flames. After ups and downs in the thirteenth century, the town became a fiefdom of the Marquis Del Carretto, which later took over the Marquis Scarampi of Cairo. In 1703 it was conquered by the troops of the House of Savoy, and then finally went to the kingdom of Piedmont and Sardinia.

The old town of Monforte, arranged in a fan and perched around the old bell tower, pulsing with life reborn after the recent restorations of several palaces and bourgeois. A stroll in its medieval streets that climb steep, a stop in his dining places or in its hotels, show that this center of Langa, already known in the second half of the twentieth century for its gastronomy, has enhanced its historical center with a lot of attention restoration and functional recovery of its buildings.
How to reach Monforte
By car:
Highway A6 Torino/Savona exit Cherasco or highway A33 Asti/Cuneo exit Alba.

By train:
Alba, Bra or Asti railway station.

By plane:
- Airport Torino Caselle “Sandro Pertini” (TRN) – 105 km - www.aeroportoditorino.it
- Airport Cuneo Levaldigi (CUF) – 39 km - www.aeroporto.cuneo.it
- Airport Milano Malpensa (MXP) – 195 km - www.sea-aeroportimilano.it
- Airport Nizza "Côte d'Azur" (NCE) – 240 km - www.nice.aeroport.fr
- Airport Genova "C. Colombo" – 132 km - www.airport.genova.it
Municipality Website